Tuesday 12 March 2024

WASSERDICHT / KPAX! / KORIDOR / NUCLEAR ALTAR 09.03.2024., Prostor, Čakovec

so...where to start?.. I already forgot how to write gig reports, same as I forgot how is to attend some.. if I remember and counting well, I wasn't on any gig in last 3 years.. the last one was I think Mališa Bahat in Varaždin still during covid restrictions and wearing masks on a gig was a thing.. yes, I know, I betray punk and all that, haha, but fck it, punk also betrayed me and fckd me up plenty of times but still I'm coming back to it again and again like to some bloody addiction which I can't rid of..
I must admit that in last year or two there were some (probably) awesome gigs and maybe once in a lifetime opportunities that I will never forgive myself for missing them, like for example Warkrusher in Rijeka, Savageheads in Zagreb, Ego and Hiatus at Monteparadiso festival, well and Misery in Pittsburg together with Nightfeeder and Flower, to be completely honest, hahaha but then I heard about one gig that will happen in one special to me city and with special bands and I knew that I can't miss this.. you think this one in Čakovec!? - no, no, it's a little more complicated, I mean the one that took place in Požega a week or two ago when there were Wasserdicht and Nuclear Altar playing.. I really wanted and already planned to go there...but again, in last moment...I fckng miss it, hahaha.. but then story goes something like this: I saw announcement about gig in Čakovec again with Wasserdicht and this time with Koridor and Kpax! and thought finally some quality and good punk concert in my closest surroundings.. I really don't remember when there was some gig in Čakovec, Novi Marof or Varaždin with some good and by my taste hc punk or crust bands, I don't count uninteresting and irrelevant metal/post something/big punk-rock bands, I like my punk d.i.y., leaning towards hardcore or crust, if possible dark, and with at least traces of message and engagement.. the last one I can think of was also in Čakovec when U.B.T. and Sukob were playing among others and this gig was also organized by the same crew as this now if I remember well but you can already guess - I fckng miss it.. anyhow, still sad and mad at myself because I miss the one in Požega I come to brilliant idea - because Mata (also guitarist in Nuclear Altar) is playing with Koridor and will already be there, it would be great if the rest of Nuclear Altar can also come and play on this gig and make one more show together with old friends from Wasserdicht, so I contacted Kktz and organizers of gig, they both love the idea and viola, my evil plan succeeded - Nuclear Altar fell in as a last minute surprise band!.. I menage to get a free day at work and that was it..
as everything of this happen in short time the day of the gig comes fast, I didn't hear with anyone or talk to much with anybody about it and at the end I go there alone but already was having some picture who might show up on this considering the bands that will play and I was right - I met there some old crew and friends, with Nuclear Altar came familiar support from Požega, crew which is always ready for partying, with Koridor few people from Zagreb and of course some familiar faces from Čakovec, Novi Marof and Varaždin which also I didn't see for ages so it was nice to hang out a little.. there was not too much people, I kind of expected that there could be a way more folks, but considering that the same day there were gigs in Zagreb and Varaždin attendance was understandable and maybe even better this way because atmosphere was very friendly and positive because almost everyone knew each other and from the beginning it was clear that this will be one relaxed and fun gig, you know that kind of a gig when every band wants to play first so they can have fun after and drink more, haha, so in that tone was a timetable also, in maybe a little unexpected, more like reversed order, so Wasserdicht were playing first.. 
they are hc punk/crust dinosaurs from neighboring Ormož, active back from 1990 with some shorter or longer pauses, they returned recently in old, first line up as a trio with already decent number of gigs all around this our area from Kranj to Beograd and with brand new album which is ready for pre-orders and will be out on the vinyl very soon.. their set was perfect combo of old and new songs, they played my favorite ones Med Tem Ko Moliš and Moja Prepričanja as well and it was really awesome to watch them again.. I still remember their last reunion around 2013 when me and friend released their discography tape on our label and they played few awesome shows, including the one with GBH snd Extreme Noise Terror on which they were the best band, just to mention..  they were always known as hell of party animals, I remember few gigs from Čakovec or Varaždin, not really sure from the early 2000 when they even wasn't able to play at the end and still today they are for sure fun to watch.. this time they also outdid themselves, in one moment bassist has to go in toilets hahaha (I think I never seen situation like this ever before) so that kind of interrupted good energy and flow of their performance, but after he came back they finished gig in style and without further problems.. around 40-45 minutes set by them, they did it uncompromising and with fire, Mitja at drums and in some songs on vocals is still animal despite his age..
after short pause guests from Belgrade Kpax! took the stage, they are very positive and friendly crew active around Belgrade's diy space AKAB Okretnica, they are not really kind of the band I would listen at home everyday, as I'm familiar they were always compared to those nowadays popular French oi punk bands which I have no idea what they sound like and never get interested to check them, but I was aware of them, and give them a listen few times on bandcamp but never get really hooked, but live is another story, they are great and fun to watch.. they play this mid tempo, sometimes too slow for my taste hc punk, but in this anthemic style with a lot of oo-oooo-oo backing vocals and for sure it was nice to see and listen something like this for a change.. they spread some positive messages in between of songs and that's always welcome.. also the song "Granica Nema" was the best one to me (even though they have one witch actually is named "Najbolja" or the best one OE, but it wasn't, obviously) and is perfect sing-along hit for gigs with great message and meaning and during this song atmosphere among crew kind of explode and was wild until the end of their show..
after them something longer pause when Koridor set up their gear.. there was some discussion in between crowd about sound, allegedly drums were too silent and bass to loud, I didn't notice that but if it was so, right after Koridor started sound was perfect.. usually, when I hear that some band plays post-something I already get repulsion and it's instant turn off for me, but I already mentioned here on blog that Koridor is one of those rare actually good post punk bands and I respected them and follow their work from beginnings.. their post punk is dark, kind of depressive and very nervous and in the same time so highly energetic live that this is hard to describe.. music is maybe similar to something what Berlin based Ego plays nowadays but even more explosive, angry and I don't know what.. sound and way of playing drums and bass is special while guitars are also wild and on point.. they literally destroyed the place and also was really fun to watch.. song "Kroz Pukotine" is living fire and was the best to me.. and during one song which is kind of more melodic and slower (maybe it was Ruševine, I'm not sure) in one moment I thought that I'm watching Joy Division playing dark version of hardcore punk, they are incredibly charismatic band and have this strong certain vibe and appearance on the stage, no wonder they even already toured USA recently.. they are sure great discovery for me, because on the records they were just you know, a good band from which I would check out every new record and after some time forgot about them, but live...I want to watch them again soon as possible..
and for the end, the ones I came for, old friends from Požega, Nuclear Altar, dark punk crust band with whom I am somehow connected to from their beginnings, either with friendship, attending their gigs since forever or even releasing their tapes.. same as during Koridor, sound was perfect and loud, they also make their set as a blend of old and new stuff, reinforced with 4 awesome covers, Corporate Wasteland (Fight Back), Victims Of Progress (Dislike), Ne Želim (the best anti-war song in history of domestic hc punk scene by Bratska Pomoć/Dislike) and already indispensable Pank Pankerima (Disčerge/Fight Back).. they probably had the wildest atmosphere at the end, I don't know if it was because they were last one on the stage or because they bring their local support, but most likely they just were really that good.. one of the best parts was during End Of Illusion when after this slower intro/beginning Kktz shouted from depths of hell (but for real, I never heard him like this) endddd offff illusionnnnnnnn the whole place freeze from the shock and right when song was supposed to start in faster tempo after this shout, cable from Mata's guitar unplugged and fell out, and an awkward silence ensued, hahah so that's was little funny and they had to repeat song from the beginning..
they also had something longer set, same as other bands this evening which was nice and strange for them because of their relatively short songs.. it's obvious that they make decent amount of new ones so they now have material for proper gig.. for the end they repeated Victims Of Progress once again with Smole from Dislike on vocals in real chaos crust style and end up this gig in the best way possible..
after the gig some more standard hanging out, discussions and settling of impressions about the gig, some overall conclusion was that this was really one hell of an event, like some mini fest with two bands from abroad, with audience from different cities and quality and friendly atmosphere and hanging out.. shortly after I went home because I was already tired, I was working night shift the day before, didn't have enough of sleep and wasn't in mood for the afterparty, but at the same time full of impressions and energy from the great gig and meeting some old friends.. so now I can crawl back into my cave for another 3 years or so...just kidding, I hope there will be some similar event soon somewhere and see you all there..

 
 
 

No comments: